Sunday 9 May 2010

A deep breath before tackling conservatory

More sticking last night and today, and I've now stuck on all the sticks I can.  I can't do the back wall until the conservatory is built because I'm afraid to risk ending up with gaps if the roof ends up a slightly different shape than planned.  Here are some pics of the sticks.




After a lot of thought and playing around with bits of wood, I've decided to attempt to scratchbuild my conservatory.  The MDF greenhouse just wasn't cutting it.  When we were at Hobbycraft I was looking at their limited supply for anything that looked like it could be transformed into a conservatory.  I came home with (don't laugh) railway track and plastic canvas doorhanger needlework shapes.  The door hangers have a circle moulded into them so that you can fit them over a doorknob after stitching.  I already had some Northeastern Scale Lumber Gingerbread Trim GBA-1 sourced through Judith of In Some Small Way.  I am hoping to transform all of these into a passable conservatory.  It may be a complete disaster, so please appreciate that I am being brave by telling you of my intentions up front, instead of trying it first then burying the atrocity in the back garden and pretending it never happened.

4 comments:

  1. Love your vertical board house and your pieces for the conservatory look great, I am sure you will make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you for haing the courage to think outside the box and give it a go! I look forward to seeing the result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am building a Fairfield as well, and am also kit-bashing, though not as extensively as you are. I am using after-market doors, windows, stairs, banisters and trim. I still have all of the porch pieces, window and door trim, etc...that came with my kit. If you can use them to build a conservatory I would be happier to mail them to you then I would be to throw them away.

    I know the conservatory and porch match on the Lydia Pickett house, and though that if you used my porch pieces to make a conservatory you could make the conservatory and porch match on your house as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very brave of you to show us before making the conservatory but I know you'll do a wonderful job. I'm looking forward to reading how you did it....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Let me know what you think.