I think there is a kind of ebb and flow when you are building a dollshouse. In the early stages, you race ahead, and progress seems rapid as the shell takes shape. Then it slows down to a steadier pace as you add construction details like staircases and conservatories. But then there are weeks where it is like wading through molasses, when you can spend a whole week gluing on shingles (or painting them... shudder) and feel like you have nothing to show for it.
This week has felt more like a leap and a bound, as I have been able to get back to things that make a visible difference, after fiddling around with all that cornicing and skirting the last few weeks.
As per my last post, I had used my tracing of the mezzanine floor outline to cut the pieces for two railings, cutting the mitres by eye to fit around this odd shape.
Today I glued the banisters into the railing. First dipping the 'pegs' at the top into some Tacky Glue, and screwing these snugly into the holes in the top railing. Then smearing Tacky Glue along the bottom railing, and fitting the whittled stumps into the bottom holes. I had to whittle a couple of these a bit more to make them fit properly. The whole effect has come out better than I expected. It needs a bit of fixing here and there, and it isn't exactly perfectly even, but it looks surprisingly well when I put it in place. DH says he wants to live in the Fairfield. The next steps will be to improve the appearance of the railing with trim and cover over the top railing to conceal the holes.