Sunday 3 July 2011

Re-purposing

This week I made a home for the teeny-tiny furniture so it doesn't get lost, and made a towel for the bathroom so that the occupants can finally dry their hands after washing them.

Play Trunk

I had this bare wood trunk which I picked up cheaply at a dollshouse show.  I was thinking it would go in the little boy's room.  But I wanted a home for the teeny-tiny furniture to reduce the chance of it falling out and going missing.









I painted it in colours to match the other furniture pieces in the girl's room.












I had some 'extra art' that came with the Flutterby bed, so I used it to trim the trunk.













Then I experimented with arranging the teeny-tiny furniture on top of the trunk.  The viewing angle will be from the front of the room, so I angled the furniture to be most visible from the side.  I used Tacky Wax to stick the furniture down, so it isn't permanent.  The rug is a little scrap of art.











And here it is in the girl's room.














Hand Towel for bathroom

I bought some tissues from Cath Kidston last year, which were very pretty but not very good for their intended purpose as they are very coarse, more like serviettes.  But I thought they might make a nice hand towel for the bathroom.






I cut a small piece to be the towel.









I looked around for a ring of the right size, and found this key ring which I could re-purpose. I used the medium ring that is connecting the key ring to the chain. I also found a little metal floret that I cut off of a brooch finding.







I folded the paper in thirds, threaded it through the ring and glued it into shape.  Then I glued the ring to the floret, and glued the whole thing to the wall.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with this furniture! The bathroom is amazing! I bought a 1/2 scale Fairfield house a while back. It's still in the box. LOL
    I'm off to see more of your house. :D
    Blessings,
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all beautiful. So pretty and feminine, and I love the way you have put the teeny tiny furniture in the little girl's room.
    Sandie, (Snippets from my Studio) gsolfot

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Let me know what you think.