This week I sewed some bed linen and cushions, and worked more on the castle bed.
For the settle bench, I cut a rectangle of craft foam and wrapped it in burgundy quilting cotton fabric, gluing it underneath with Thick Designer Glue. I made the cushions the same way that I made the cushions for the Day Bed in the living room, and used the same measurements (roughly 1/2" square).
For the bed mattress, I cut a rectangle of card to be the base, and glued foam (c 1/4" thick) onto the card to be the mattress. Then I covered it also with burgundy fabric. The pillow is a three sided bag, about 1/2" wide, which I stuffed with a little polyester stuffing. I made sure to use the selvedge edges of the fabric for the open end of the pillow, so there is a finished edge.
The duvet is also quilting cotton fabric, and I sewed it like a giant cushion, then fed in a rectangle of thin cotton quilters batting to be the padding. I hand-stitched the gap at the bottom closed. I took the measurements from the mattress, but made it shorter and slightly wider.
To make the bed look realistic, I used hidden stitches to catch down the pillow and the duvet, so they would lie flat. Then I glued the bedding/mattress into the bed structure (which was still open-backed at this point).
To finish the bed (apart from the ladder, which I haven't made yet), I touched up the paint around the artwork edges. I glued in three cut out shields on the inside wall above the pillow. Then I cut a piece of thin card to fit the back, and covered it with masonry paper. I glued this on with tacky glue to completely box in the bed.
Of course, if I was going to be really realistic, i should drip stains all over the boy's carpet, cover the walls with posters and leave empty plates and glasses stacked here and there :)