Our four-day weekend for the Royal Wedding wasn't quite the relaxing break with lots of dollshousing, that I had hoped for. We went away for two nights camping, and when we came back Sunday afternoon, it was to find that our house had been broken into. So the rest of Sunday was spent dealing with police and insurance companies, and getting the broken window boarded up.
Although the thief had thrown around a lot of our possessions in the bedrooms, searching for valuables, and there were signs of searching on the ground floor, none of my dollshouses seem to have been touched. Not even the Fairfield which was under construction in my bedroom, even though it was blocking access to a cupboard (which only had quilts in it, but the thief wouldn't have known that). So I am thankful for that. I can't help wondering what they were thinking, hyped up on adrenaline, quickly grabbing valuables, but finding cupboard after cupboard of craft materials and surrounded by a dozen or more dolls houses. Not to mention sewing machines, yarn etc. Probably cursing us for not having 'proper' valuables - if only they knew how much all of this stuff is worth! But then I suppose it wouldn't be easy to sell. They stole my son's Wii, his handheld game consoles, most of his games, and his savings, and some of my jewellery and my husband's watch, and both our laptops. We all feel a bit unsafe now I think, and it will be a long time before we get our son to come camping again...
Anyway. I did do some work on the Fairfield kitchen in the week, and a bit more today, so I will blog about that.
Before I do, I would like to welcome Rosamargarita, who I think is the 99th follower. One more and I will have 100 people who are interested in my little Greenleaf conversion. I am really grateful for the interest and support that you are all showing, and it definitely motivates me to keep going. There are weeks when I know I would procrastinate and not do anything, but then the thought of having nothing to blog makes me do something. Which is good.
This week I was adding some accessories and finishing the final cupboard unit containing the refrigerator. I have said before that I find this the hardest part. If you spend three hours building a house, you generally have a lot to show for it. Three hours painting kitchenware doesn't get you much at all!
I like the Games Workshop paints which are acrylic and go on well over almost any surface. They aren't cheap but I am lucky as my DH and DS both collect and paint models, so we have lots of pots of paint. Although I have to be a bit sneaky about using them.
I painted the outside of the pots and pans, and the Tiny Turnings, and the handles of the tools, in Citadel Foundation Bleached Bone (which surprisingly is lighter in colour than normal Games Workshop Bleached Bone. After I took this picture, I gave them all a coat of clear nail varnish to make them shiny.
Bashing the fridge cupboard
To finish, I gave it three or four coats of 'Tapioca' to match the other units, and glued in the acrylic panes that come with the cardboard cupboard kit. I also painted and glued on the same handles that are on the rest of the kitchen.