Follow my progress as I kitbash a Greenleaf Fairfield dollshouse kit into a home for my 1:24 scale Lydia Pickett furniture.
Sunday, 24 October 2010
Trimming, and discovering yet again that I really can't count
This week I refined the shape of my six windowframes, and painted them with several coats of 'Bleached Bone' to match the other trim in the house. Using a spare window, I fitted each window in the doubleheight room in turn, gluing on the interior frame. I'm not actually gluing in the external windows yet because they are so fragile with their slender mullions. I'd already broken the spare window.
Of course, I eventually discovered that this house has, in fact, seven windows, not six. Once again I have proven my complete inability to count accurately - a deficiency which has hampered me in several hobbies (try doing'counted' cross stitch!). This means that my 'spare' window isn't spare after all, so now I have to decide whether to order another one (which takes ages) or see if I can fix it. I also need to make a seventh window frame to match the other six.
I've started applying the skirting boards as well. You can see the skirting in the living room in the above picture, and I've applied some of the skirting in the kitchen. I can't do all of the kitchen because I'm not sure where all the kitchen furniture is going yet, and I may need to butt cupboards up against walls. Similarly, I can't do the bedrooms yet because I don't know what's going in them (there is no Lydia Pickett bedroom furniture in half-inch scale apart from the master bedroom).
I also framed around the conservatory doors with coffee stirrers, which match the thickness of the Houseworks doors better than the plastic strip I am using for skirting.