Monday, 22 August 2011
Silk chiffon is the work of the devil
I did a couple of tests on it to see whether Fraycheck or Tacky glue would be better for finishing the edges. At this point I began to get some inkling of a) how much it frays and b) how unstable it is, biasing at random.
Of course, when I removed the silk in order to cut out the rectangle, it kept stretching and moving all over the place.
The plan for the next step was to fold over a pelmet at the top of the chiffon rectangles, gather them, and stitch them with tiny stitches using silk thread (so almost invisible) to the inside of the metal canopy. This is when I realised that silk chiffon is the work of the devil.
Then I debated what was the best way to stick the canopy into the room. I've gone with solvent-based adhesive, applying a thin layer to both surfaces and letting it set for five minutes, then sticking it into the room. I'm still trying to get the chiffon to hang naturally and to make the tiebacks look tidier, but after struggling with it for a while I decided to take a breather.