Follow my progress as I kitbash a Greenleaf Fairfield dollshouse kit into a home for my 1:24 scale Lydia Pickett furniture.
Sunday, 3 April 2011
Still working on the kitchen, which I'm sure doesn't surprise anyone. I've spent most of my time this week painting the cabinets and trim, using acrylic paint in 'Tapioca' colour, which is a slightly yellowish white. There are so many nooks and crannies that it takes a surprisingly long time to do each coat. Also, I found that there seems to be a bit more charring on this kit than on the LP kits, and it has taken a few more coats to get a clean edge. Plus sanding lightly between each coat.
I also painted a coat of DecoArt multi-purpose sealer over all the artwork: the wallpaper that comes with the kit, all the groceries and labels that come with the kit, the printed oven/microwave/stove that comes with the kit, some potential tiles that I printed from Jim's Printables site online, and some alternative potential tiles that were in a dollshouse magazine a while ago. Although the sealer leaves a slight sheen and in a very bright light you can see brush marks, I prefer to protect the artwork so that I don't have to worry about ruining it if I get moisture onto the inkjet surface.
The hob/stove, oven and microwave will all make up the same: you paint the edges of the provided wood square black, then glue on the cutout. Here is my hob, pictured on top of the countertop that I am considering using.
The cabinets are all constructed in the same basic way. I've made up one so far, and will work on the others this week.
First, you cut out wallpaper to fit behind the 'cupboard' part of the cabinet, slightly smaller than the trim piece so the paper edges won't show. This gets glued on the cabinet.
Then you glue the trim piece on top, to give the illusion of doors. There are knobs provided in the kit. It's very simple, but it is going to take me a while to complete all of the cabinets to this stage.