While deciding how to finish the ridge of my main roof, I had a look at several other houses pictured in the gallery on the Greenleaf Forum to see what other people have done. There were a variety of treatments used:
- butting the last row of shingles neatly against each other
- applying individual ridge tiles overlapping the roof ridge
- applying long horizontal lengths of trim along the ridge
- applying an ornamental 'gingerbread' fretwork along the ridge and butting the shingles up against this
- applying a long horizontal strip of folded card or paper along the ridge, to mimic roofing paper or flashing.
I also looked at the pictures I have of the original Pickett Hill house that I am copying, and it seems to use individual ridge tiles. So I decided to go with those. I used my quilting ruler to mark up thin card (from the back of a writing pad) into strips 3/8" wide (roughly the width of a narrow shingle) and 1/2" long (to overlap 1/4" on either side of ridge). Before cutting these out, I scored a line halfway along the length, so that each shingle would have a fold line.
I applied these to the house using Aleene's Thick Designer Tacky Glue, which is a super tacky thick white glue which works really well with card.
On the dormer, I cut the 3/8" strips into longer 1-inch lengths, with the fold scored at 1/2", so that the dormer ridge tiles overlap 1/2" on to either side of the dormer.
With all the shingling done, I applied a first coat of Anita's Leaf Green acrylic paint, using a pointed brush to carefully paint the areas touching the white walls, and a bigger brush for the main areas. This is going to take a few coats to achieve a uniform colour. Shingled roofs are one of those never-ending paint jobs where you think you have it all painted, then you turn it to a different angle and suddenly see all these crevices and bits you missed.
Curiously, I think the house looks smaller now than it did when the shingles were plain wood. Perhaps because the green has made them darker, as well as uniting the various surfaces into one roof.
Looking on the Greenleaf Forum gallery has left me with a major case of inadequacy. Some of the pictures on there are so detailed and so perfect that it is hard to tell they are of dollshouses and not of real rooms. I know my house is never going to look that perfect (particularly in unforgiving high definition photographs). I can only admire people who can achieve that level of detail, particularly in the half-inch scale. I have to remind myself that my original goal is to achieve a suitable home for my Lydia Pickett furniture, and that it's not a competition, and there are no Dollshouse Inspection Police!