Sunday, 18 July 2010

Marathon wallpapering, and the roof goes on

Well, I have taken a lot of pictures this week of various steps, and I am debating whether to include them all.  Including them might help anyone who needs to understand step-by-step what I am doing, but it is going to make for a very long post.  Perhaps if I make the pics a small size?

I started out with a marathon wallpapering session in the attic.  I found this tricky because of all the angles and crannies, and I needed to be careful as I didn't have enough wallpaper that I could afford to ruin sheets of it. I also had to think through what should be the logical order for papering, in order to achieve a neat result.  If you are not interested in wallpapering, then you can just skip the whole next section of this post.

This is how I do my wallpapering.  I used a soft foam brush to apply glue to both the wall and to the back of the paper.  I use a magazine as a disposable palette for applying glue, turning to clean pages for each new piece of wallpaper.  I use normal household wallpaper paste, which I keep in a jam jar, and use a paint brush to apply glue in tight corners.  For very tricky places, like folding a right angle, I use a bit of tacky glue for a tight hold on the paper.

1)  The bedroom side wall was already papered from before construction.  The first step therefore was to paper the back bedroom wall, butting it neatly to the side wall and overlapping it slightly onto the section of bedroom wall around the bathroom door.

2) Then I papered the section of the bedroom wall that surrounds the bathroom door, running the paper inside the false doorway, and overlapping it around the corner to cover the inserted wall, and slightly up onto the apex of the bedroom.

3) Step three was to cover in the apex of the bedroom, overlapping out onto what will be the roof area.

4) Step four was to paper the back wall of the dressing room area.  I slid the paper into the gap between my inserted foamcore wall around the round window, and cut it neatly to cover the overlap I left when I papered the inserted bathroom wall.

5) Then I needed to re-paper the side wall of the dressing room.  This wall was originally papered in the bathroom paper, so now I needed to cover that over with bedroom paper.  I butted the paper neatly up to the back wall of the dressing area.

6)  The final step for the bedroom was to paper the inside of the two roof sections that will cover over the bedroom.

7)  Time for the bathroom.  I started again with the back wall, overlapping the paper onto both side walls.

8)  Then I papered the inside of the inserted foam core side wall, butting neatly on top of the overlap from the back wall.

9)  and ditto for the opposite wall.

10) and finally, papering the remaining section of roof.

Finishing details

I wanted to complete some of the finishing details while I still had full access to the attic area, before I glued on the roof sections.

So I glued the false door into its frame, added the door handle, and glued in the door.  Then I glued the working bathroom door frame in, and hinged in the door.  Grandtline doors pivot on plastic pegs top and bottom, held in by incredibly fiddly small bits of plastic.

Then I glued in the skirting in the main part of the bedroom.  I am using 1mm x 4mm styrene strip as skirting, painted in Games Workshop Bleached Bone paint to match the doors.

And the skirting in the dressing room.  And I glued in the round window.

I had a bit of an issue with the bathroom door, as the Grandtline doorframe was more shallow than the foamcore wall.  So I covered over the exposed foamcore with very thin strips of wood, and painted them to match.

Then I framed in the door with the same strip used for skirting.  I'm not putting skirting in the bathroom until the fixtures are installed.

The last step before covering in the attic was to make a paper pattern for the bedroom carpet.  I won't install the carpet yet as I would be bound to get paint on it from the shingling coming up.

The finished carpet pattern.

Then it was time to glue the roof pieces on.  These proved hard to clamp down, but I did my best with masking tape and strategically placed clamps.


  1. Everything is looking wonderful. I know it can be challenging to wallpaper in those tight corners. I had a look at the website for the furniture when you sent me the link. Thanks for sharing it. It's really nice furnishings.

  2. It looks lovely, and that furniture really is adorable! lots of roof angles!

  3. Looking great, I love what your doing with the colours of the wallpaper and the trim and doors. You have been hard at work and it shows. Jenn

  4. I am greatly impressed with your wallpapering skills. Wow. The house is looking great.

  5. Thank you for sharing. This will be a great help when I get to put my Fairfield together.


  6. Maravilloso resultado. Gracias por el paso apaso. Besos Clara

  7. Again, wonderful work! The house is looking fantastic.


Thanks for dropping by! Let me know what you think.